Awnish Srivastava is the President of Always Best Care Senior Services of Greater Toronto. As the Area Representative for Always Best Care, Awnish works with Franchisees in the market as their local business coach and advisor contributing to their success.
Awnish has lived in the Toronto area for over 35 years and has a background as an executive in Marketing with such global companies as General Mills and Warner Bros. Awnish became the first area representative / master franchisee of Always Best Care in Canada in 2010.
Awnish has a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Toronto and lives in Oakville with his wife and two children.
BeTheBoss - Tell us about the Always Best Care concept.
Awnish Srivastava - Always Best Care Senior Services specializes in offering a unique combination of Home Health Care Services and Independent & Assisted living placement services to seniors. Our Home Health Care Service offers both non-medical (Home Support & Personal Care) and Medical (Skilled Nursing) services. What’s unique about this model is all three revenue streams come from the same referral source. No additional marketing of services is needed. These clients are usually referred by other health care professionals such as physicians, hospitals, insurance companies, and other community businesses that market to seniors. We were recently named the fastest growing senior care franchise system in America by Entrepreneur Magazine. What sets us apart is our unique, proven business model – in addition to the three dynamic revenue streams, our system has unprecedented support at both the corporate and local levels, and best in class processes and systems – all optimized specifically for the Canadian market.
BTB - How and when did you become involved with Always Best Care?
AS - I was introduced to Always Best Care late in the summer of 2010. I had been looking for a new business and kept coming back to senior care. After a couple of months learning about the Always Best Care business model and getting to know many of the corporate staff, Area Representatives, and Franchise Owners, I decide to become an Area Representative for the Greater Toronto Area.
BTB - What was your background prior to joining Always Best Care?
AS - Prior to joining Always Best Care, I spent almost 20 years in corporate marketing for companies like General Mills, H.J. Heinz, and Warner Bros.
BTB - What are some of the advantages in being
an Always Best Care franchisee?
AS - I investigated many different franchise concepts both in this industry and outside of it and kept coming back to Always Best Care because of it’s unique model and great people.
The advantages are numerous –
- In business for 15 years = proven, successful model
- Unique & dynamic business model providing seniors full continuum of care and franchisees multiple revenue streams - non-medical care (home support & personal care), nursing services, and placement services (independent & assisted living).
- Best support stricture in the industry – full corporate support plus a local Area Representative who has invested in the territory and provides ongoing local training, support, and business advice
- The people – From our Founder Michael Newman through to the corporate staff and trainers – you get a knowledgeable, passionate group of people who are committed to your success
- Innovative. Since I’ve joined, many new initiatives have been announced including a National Call Centre to manage leads for franchisees and Always in Touch – a free phone service for seniors whereby we will call them to say Hi, check in on them, and even remind them to take medication.
- National Marketing – Always Best Care is committed to building the brand and driving awareness and leads for franchisees.
BTB - Who is your ideal franchisee?
AS - We attract people who think big and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where they have the opportunity to scale and grow their own business. The Toronto area is one of the largest and most dynamic markets in all of North America. We want people who have the confidence, ability, and desire to own and grow prime territories in the Toronto Area. Our ideal franchisee would be motivated by owning multiple units and possess the following characteristics –
- Self starter
- Entrepreneurial – growth oriented
- Outgoing personality, good networking skills, interested in being a part of their local community
- Sales and marketing experience
- Strong management and communication skills
- Team player
- A desire for helping seniors
- Early Adopters – people with vision motivated by leading the way for others
BTB - Tell us a little about the Senior Care
AS - The senior population is the largest growing group of the Canadian population and Healthcare is the largest industry in Canada. Currently, approximately 13% of the population in Canada is over the age of 65. By 2036 this will grow to 25% of the population. The need for homecare and placement services will continue to see growth for a long time to come.
BTB - What are some of the greatest lessons you’ve learned in growing this franchise?
AS - First and foremost, follow the system! It has proven to be successful for our founder and many franchisees that have followed. Secondly, a full time commitment to marketing your business and networking is critical. This is a people business – success depends on building a reputation for quality service and caring.
BTB - Do you have a mentor and is their someone you use for inspiration?
AS - Definitely my parents. My dad passed away in 2008 after batting Alzheimer’s for 10 years. My mother was his primary caregiver. Watching my dad fight this terrible disease and the love and caring my mom provided through those years is truly a great inspiration for me.
BTB - What advice do you have for someone looking to acquire a Franchise?
AS - It is very important to know yourself well and to be honest about your strengths, weaknesses, likes, and dislikes. Franchisees from a variety of backgrounds and personalities can be successful but only if you leverage your strengths and supplement your weaknesses. Also, you need the support of your spouse / family. Starting a business is an exciting time but something the whole family needs to be fully committed to.
BTB - In your opinion, why do you think that Always Best Care would be a great opportunity for someone?
AS - This is truly a superior and unique opportunity in the senior care industry and anyone who does their due diligence on our concept will agree. We stand out as a leader in this industry…
- Proven successful business model. Founded 15 years ago by Michael Newman who continues to lead the organization today.
- 3 dynamic revenue streams from the same referral source enabling us to support seniors with a full continuum of care – non medical, nursing services, and independent & assisted living placement
- Double the Support - full corporate support plus local level support by area representatives who have invested in their markets along with you – local expert, first responder, mentor, and strategic business coach
- Simplicity & Turn Key – ABC requires no back office systems outside of what we provide, a small office space, and low overhead to start your business.
For the early adopter with the vision to lock up prime territory and lead the expansion in Canada, we have a great opportunity to build a truly scalable business in the lucrative Toronto area through our multi-unit program.