- Investment Level$300,000 - $500,001
- Number of Units459
- IndustryPets, Canadian Franchises, Franchises For Women, Pets, Retail
- Franchising Since1987
- Royalty Fee6%
Investment Level: $280,000 - $570,000
Join Canada’s Largest Pets Franchise
The passion of Pet Valu franchisees is obvious: Pets! Our franchisees demonstrate this through the personalized service and attention to detail in selecting the right care and nutrition for each and every pet.
What Pet Valu Does
Pet Valu Canada Inc. is Canada’s largest pet care product retail chain. Whether your looking for supplies for dogs, cats, fish, birds, or small animals Pet Valu offers a broad selection of national and premium brands. We are proud to be the leaders in this field.
Pet Valu started in Toronto in 1976 and in 1987 we began to franchise. Today there are more than 300 Pet Valu pets franchises in Canada in 370 in North America.
A Proven Business Model
Pet Valu follows a proven owner-operator model with small-box neighbourhood stores in dedicated franchise territories. As a Pet Valu franchisee you’ll gain access to the tools you need to operate a successful business:
• Store build-out comprising of:
• Complete set-up with a proven store design
• Leasehold upgrades supervision
• Store equipment ordering and installation
• Shelf stocking and merchandising best practices
• Grand opening support
• Best in class inventory control with more than 200 vendor relationships
• Expired food coverage for new and established stores
• Purchasing and warehousing of more than 7,000 national and premium brand pet foods and supplies.
• Industry-leading private label programs, including one of the broadest private label brand assortments of pet foods, supplements and supplies in Canada.
• A well-established brand name with a reputation for excellence in quality and service.
• New store marketing co-op for local marketing.
• New store royalty relief during start-up.
• Sound reputation and strong relationships with developers and landlords - a significant advantage when competing for key plaza space.
• A strong team of experienced professionals led by our CEO, Tom McNeely.
What We Offer
Canada pet industry is estimated to be worth $5.6 billion. Over half of all Canadian households have pets, including 5.5 million dogs and 7.2 million cats.
Pet Valu has a long standing reputation in the pet supply industry with over 30 years in the business. We have become recognized as the experts in this industry.
Franchisees enjoy turn-key store operation including floor plans and design, supervision of leasehold improvements, store equipment purchasing and installation, initial inventory purchasing, and experienced supervision at store opening.
Each franchisee completes three weeks of training. The first week of training is in-class and covers daily operation procedures, bookkeeping, product knowledge, and pet care. The remaining two weeks of training are hands-on at an existing Pet Valu store under the supervision of experienced operator.
Operators of our pets franchise get ongoing support from our Franchise Business Consultants. A field manager, who can be reached by telephone or email, will check up on your store every now and then. The Field Consultants have access to a team of experts whose job it is to maintain Pet Valu’s position as an industry leader. Our marketing initiatives are created for both local and national promotional activities.
We have the broadest selection of pet foods in Canada, including Performatrin, Performatrin Ultra, Pet Valu, Health Diet, Fresh4Life, Feline Cuisine and Canine Cuisine. These products are known for quality and value and are available only at Pet Valu stores and our partners. The reputation of our branded products encourages customer loyalty.
Join the Pet Valu team as a franchisee and you’ll be part of a brilliant team of professionals led by Tom McNeely, CEO – former CEO, Herbal Magic; former EVP and CFO, Tim Hortons; and member of the Board of Directors of FSNA (a TSX listed company), March 2009 to present.